Friday, March 25, 2011

We went to the American Philosphical Society Thursday night for a preview of their new exhibit "Of Elephants and Roses: Encounters with French Natural History, 1790–1830". It was a time of science and curiosity about exotic specimens. This is a grid of etchings of leaves and seed pods of American oaks collected by AndrĂ© Michaux who was sent to America to look for species to replenish France forests. Each print is about 4" x 6" based on field drawings during the collecting expedition. The prints are mounted on linen and are an impressive grid of prints.

The museum at APS showcases their extensive collections to link science, history and art. The show is up for several months as part of the Philadelphia International Festival of the Arts celebrating connections between Philadelphia and Paris. Check it out!

No comments:

About Me

I'm an architect with a passion for history and good design. I've worked with historic buildings for the past 30 years, which has developed my appreciation for beautiful buildings, powerful places, and layered landscapes. I've been developing these themes in my printmaking and photography. I’ve been studying for several years at Fleisher Art Memorial in Philadelphia, PA, perfecting my skills and joining in a creative community.